WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!?!?!

All problems and issues that occur

Re: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!?!?!

Postby ron.kundla » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Not sure about less time. It is like 4x the number of slices at 25 micron versus 100 micron. The time relationship isn't exactly linear due to the intensity of the light cubed or something from my physics days.

Let us know how it turns out!
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Vortious » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Well shortening the exposure time means that it'll take less time than it did for the longer exposure times. If I change the time from 30 seconds to 15 seconds it'll take half the time to do the same number of layers.
Vortious

Postby ron.kundla » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:05 am

Vortious wrote:Well shortening the exposure time means that it'll take less time than it did for the longer exposure times. If I change the time from 30 seconds to 15 seconds it'll take half the time to do the same number of layers.

Hahah, in your particular case, yes. :D Any news to share?
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Vortious » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:27 am

The first print after I lowered the time had less "skin tagging", but it still was all messed up in the face, but I think that's because of the blasted FEP tape. Didn't you say in another thread that there's another way to keep the print from sticking to the vat? I just ordered some more fep tape, but the only piece I have left of that frustrating stuff is all F*ed up. I tried to print again, but the print didn't stick to the build plate, but I think that's because I had lowered the time on the first 3 layers from 30 to 20 to see what would happen. So once I get the new bunch of FEP tape, or learn what you're using instead of it I'll take care of that, and try printing again.

I did look over the printer, and told it to print empty, and noticed that all of the LEDs ARE lighting up, and the digital display is working properly, so right now I'm thinking it's probably just a problem w/ the FEP tape since the bottle of red is only a few months old, and the bottle of clear is brand new. I think maybe the imperfections in the FEP tape is shooting the UV out into the rest of the vat causing the globbing.
Vortious

Postby ron.kundla » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:12 am

You can put a thin PDMS layer inside the petri dish in lieu of the FEP tape. I bought a pack of Qsil 216 off of eBay. It is a two part mixture that you combine and pour into the vat on a flat surface. You cover the dish and it will auto level and cure over 48 hours.

You can print directly on that, but PDMS will cloud up if you have any build issues like a stuck print or print over the same spot too many times. The dish needs to be thoroughly cleaned to ensure that the PDMS will stick to the vat and not rip out during a peel.
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Vortious » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:46 am

I like the sound of the Qsil 216. 10-1 mix ratio just like my mold rubbers, and cures clear in 4 hours, only issue is does it stick to the vat, or is it something that will have to be redone multiple times? What is this PDMS you're talking about I googled it, and got 5, or 6 different types of things using those initials.
Vortious

Postby ron.kundla » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:19 pm

That's pretty much it. Do need to leave it for the 48 hours though to cure all the way through based on my experience. It will skin over in 4 hours.

It will stick to the glass, but if it gets damaged, a knife along the edge will break it from the wall and allow you to peel it off. PDMS is the abbreviated name for the chemical polydimethylsiloxane. Sylgard 184 and Qsil 216 are two different brands of PDMS.
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Vortious » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:22 pm

VERY cool, thanks. As for the cure time, yeah I know from working w/ urethane resins, and silicone mold rubbers that you often need to give them about a day, or so to let them achieve full strength
Vortious

Postby Vortious » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:32 am

Ok I put the rubber in the dish, and yeah that totally fix the problems. First print came out beautifully. It isn't quite perfect, but it's a hell of allot better than I was getting before. I think part of my problem is also the vibrations in the floor with kids walking, and running around, and knocking stuff over. the shorter exposure time seems to be helping w/ that aspect for sure though.
Vortious

Postby ron.kundla » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:09 pm

That is good news @Vortious!

A PDMS substrate with a FEP layer on top would really be the way to go forward. The PDMS is flexible, the FEP is anti-stick and helps protect the PDMS from damage due to failed builds.
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

PreviousNext

Return to Issues