FEP Tape - No Instruction!

General questions about the printer and printer software.

FEP Tape - No Instruction!

Postby BigBenjy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi guys,

firstly - I'd just like to commend you on a great piece of kit - however i'm having some trouble, as like some of the others on the forum, I had assumed the tape on the vat was for protection in transit, and removed it....thus no Teflon coating...and guess what - my resin sticks to the bottom of the vat instead of the print head (which I have roughed up).

Can you recommend a way I can actually get the printer to work "properly" without the tape?, or were I can get some of this tape in UK - i've tried everywhere to no avail...are there any settings I can tweak to try and tease the resin onto the print head intead of the vat? - Or an alternative "non-stick" product? - I've considered oiling the vat......yes I know...stupid idea...

I really want to print a finished model...but if I order from you, the cost of shipping alone, and then the customs charges (with £8 admin charge) will make close to £40 just for the tape...I realise its not your fault...but perhaps add something to the manual/quick start guide to say "this is special - do not peel it off you idiot"...as, as far as i can see im not the first person to have done this..

But otherwise...as I said - what a brilliant piece of kit - im certain if I hadn't peeled off the tape - it would be working perfectly.
BigBenjy

Re: FEP Tape - No Instruction!

Postby Xios1306 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Thank you for your kinds words.

We did provide you with an additional piece of FEP tape with the printer. Here is a video explaining you how to put in the FEP tape onto the VAT.

Putting the tape on can be extremely frustrating especially peeling the tape apart. Make sure you get no air bubbles underneath the layer. We do sell a 10 pack FEP tape pack on our website.
Some people have also had success with Slyguard but its more high maintenance and difficult to put on than the tape because it requires mixing chemicals and may destroy the vat.
Harsha B C
Intern - Computer Engineer
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀ │
│   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄ │
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Postby Xios1306 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Another cheaper alternative would be to look at amazon UK and try buy a roll of FEP tape.
Just search for Optically Clear PTFE Tape, or Teflon Tape and you can buy your own roll of tape which would be much easier to apply on the vat as well.
However I can't assure you you'll get nice prints from the tape. We did test a couple of tapes from amazon here and most of them needed to be replaced after a few prints because the adhesive was eaten away by the resin, but the prints didn't look too bad.

Hope this helps! And we'll try to get more instructions on the quick start guide in regard to the FEP tape.
Harsha B C
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Postby BigBenjy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Thx for reply - sadly I cant see any spare in my box.....im gonna do a search and see if it fell out anywhere...cos that would be awesome..

I've ordered some from Amazon....lets see how it does..otherwise i'll have to do a big order from you guys to make it worth my while..

Still a very happy (yet stupid feeling) bunny.

Ben
BigBenjy

Postby BigBenjy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:23 pm

Score....found it...

It was hidden under 400 tiny plastic bags on my desk (for by ebay selling...) - installing now and seeing how we go...
BigBenjy

Postby Xios1306 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:35 pm

I hope it went well. It took me 3 tries to get it perfect when I started working here. Now I can do it faster than most people here.
Harsha B C
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Postby RDeNatale » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:24 am

Xios1306 wrote:Another cheaper alternative would be to look at amazon UK and try buy a roll of FEP tape.
Just search for Optically Clear PTFE Tape, or Teflon Tape and you can buy your own roll of tape which would be much easier to apply on the vat as well.
However I can't assure you you'll get nice prints from the tape. We did test a couple of tapes from amazon here and most of them needed to be replaced after a few prints because the adhesive was eaten away by the resin, but the prints didn't look too bad.

Hope this helps! And we'll try to get more instructions on the quick start guide in regard to the FEP tape.

Since you mentioned Amazon as a source of tape, and I suspect that iBoxPrinters business model doesn't depend on the markup of small items like this, I've found some other things:

1. This looks like a likely substitute for the FEP on the US Amazon store: http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Optically ... B000REI90W looking at a few DIY sites for DLP and/or STL printers CS-Hyde seems to be the goto source for FEP.

2. This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VK8 ... ge_o01_s00 looks very much like the UV Cure lamp in the accessories section, there are lots of alternatives for this since they are used for curing acrylic fingernails. If you have a local beauty supply store like Sally's you'll likely find something there too.

3. And this funnel with strainer from Williams-Sonoma looks like a close substitute. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... ku=3027695

I hope I haven't stepped on toes with this post.
RDeNatale

Postby BigBenjy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:27 pm

Thx Guys,

I found the tape - reattached it (after 5 minutes of swearing) and the first print worked perfectly..

I did order some of the CS Hyde Tape - its coming from the states, as you can't get it in the uk...the only FEP I could find was in 1200mm wide rolls of 300m!...so with luck it'll arrive soon, and ill give it a go.

Even if it works for 1 or two prints i'll have 5 yards of it - so it should last a good old time...

Of course if its rubbish - illl just do a massive order from ibox to counter the postage costs - although it might be worth considering changing the postage costs just for the tape - as i can imagine that sending 10, or even 100 pieces would only cost about $5! - if that were the case, id 100% pay the money....

Otherwise - its an incredible piece of kit...im currently printing the eiffel tower - and then - onto making my own models for my N-Guage train setup...

Ben
BigBenjy

Postby Xios1306 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:14 pm

RDeNatale wrote:
Xios1306 wrote:Another cheaper alternative would be to look at amazon UK and try buy a roll of FEP tape.

Since you mentioned Amazon as a source of tape, and I suspect that iBoxPrinters business model doesn't depend on the markup of small items like this, I've found some other things:

1. This looks like a likely substitute for the FEP on the US Amazon store: http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Optically ... B000REI90W looking at a few DIY sites for DLP and/or STL printers CS-Hyde seems to be the goto source for FEP.

2. This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VK8 ... ge_o01_s00 looks very much like the UV Cure lamp in the accessories section, there are lots of alternatives for this since they are used for curing acrylic fingernails. If you have a local beauty supply store like Sally's you'll likely find something there too.

3. And this funnel with strainer from Williams-Sonoma looks like a close substitute. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... ku=3027695

We don't get the FEP tape from amazon we actually get the tape directly from du pont teflon sheets. We tested every kind of FEP tape material and we stuck to the ones we have now because basically the models didnt get stuck to VAT (Haha, corny I know.) But it also doesn't block too much UV light and helps peel the model more efficiently.

Also why did you link to the funnel?
Harsha B C
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Postby RDeNatale » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Xios1306 wrote:
RDeNatale wrote:

We don't get the FEP tape from amazon we actually get the tape directly from du pont teflon sheets. We tested every kind of FEP tape material and we stuck to the ones we have now because basically the models didnt get stuck to VAT (Haha, corny I know.) But it also doesn't block too much UV light and helps peel the model more efficiently.

Also why did you link to the funnel?

I thought I saw it as an accessory on the iBoxPrinters site, but it was actually this on the MakerJuice site https://www.makerjuice.com/shop/funnel-with-strainer/ Useful for saving strained resin from the vat back to a storage container.
RDeNatale

Next

Return to General