WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!?!?!

All problems and issues that occur

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!?!?!

Postby Vortious » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:04 am

Ok, so I've been using my iBox for a couple of months now, and every single thing I've printed I've had to reprint multiple times before I got a copy I felt was workable, not good, but workable. Now this morning the whole vat was full of cured resin.
Vortious

Re: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!?!?!

Postby MagicDan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:02 am

Ok, For the Vat to be full of cured resin, some how light got to it to cure it, be it outside influence or the svg file used. Is the cured resin a solid round disk, or is it in a blob shape?

We need some reference shots to go on to get you going. What are your Nano settings, and can you post some pictures of the problems you are having, including your previous prints? Most issues for me have been with the print itself or getting a print to stick to the build plate.

Also, if you post the svg file in question that might shed some light on the problem.
MagicDan

Postby Vortious » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:57 am

How do you post an SVG file?

The cured resin is in globs mostly occurring around the sides of the vat.

As for added light it's doubtful since I mainly try running things over night because I thought that the imperfections might have been due to vibrations in the floor from the kids, and for the most part it mostly seemed to be drastically reduced when I printed over night, but in the last several days this has been happening. I thought maybe it was the clear resin, so I switched back to the red which I had, had more luck with than the green which I pretty much completely wasted (these are just a few of the crap prints from the green bottle I have a whole 7oz cup full). At this point I'm thinking about just trying to get my money back, and go looking into another 3D printer, because the folks at iBox have a good idea, but they just REALLY don't seem to have gotten all of the problems worked out. I've been looking at that Peachy Printer lately, and the print quality on that thing makes the iBox look like a joke, and it's only $100 for their kit, but again it's another proprietary company, so it's still in the experimental stage, but even so it looks like a MUCH better option.
Vortious

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:27 am

The skin tags are a symptom of layer over-exposure. Reducing the exposure time will reduce the quantity of them. Also, different color resins have different reaction to the same exposure time due to the color/pigment. Expect some of them to vary slightly if you haven't seen that already.

In case of hardware failure, one thing to look for during printing is whether all of the LEDs are lit during exposure. Also, time the exposure relative to your settings to make sure the Nano isn't overexposing due to some SW or HW error.

Material wise, it is possible your resin has gone bad, either by indirect light exposure or heat. Did the red resin gel up like the green resin did? That would help narrow down the issue to the printer, the resin or the environment. Did you leave the resin in the vat or put it in a dark container for storage?
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Vortious » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Yes the same thing happened with the red resin. The clear which is what you see in the pic there added to the very last of the green resin had just been opened, and every run I did w/ the clear after I removed that big glob of a mess which was the last of the green resin it still did it, so I tried the red resin this morning, and it did it w/ the red resin too. What's odd is that it just started doing the globbing a few days ago (I never once messed w/ any of the settings except layer height), prior to that it was just all of those "skin tags" as you called them. I'm pretty sure that the LEDs are all firing, because when I ran the red last night I printed this head w/ a base under it, and it printed the base, but when it was printing the head itself that's where the problems started showing up. So do you suggest reducing the exposure time?
Vortious

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:56 pm

I think reducing the exposure is as good of a test as any. It's either your LEDs all went to 100% power or something else that is causing the excessive curing.

What are your current exposure times right now?
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby MagicDan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:59 pm

This is a link to my first print, with my settings for the printer. Might check and see if they are similar.

https://plus.google.com/111548665804544 ... YXLRVfwTvn

You can also check your svg file at the following site, helps to make sure everything is printing, or if there is extras not wanted.

http://garyhodgson.github.io/slic3rsvgviewer/
MagicDan

Postby Vortious » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:32 am

Ok Dan these are the settings that you had listed in that post

Layer Thickness 100
All Layers exposure time: 30
First Layers: Over-Exposure Time: 35
First Layers layer count: 3
UV-LED Drive current: 8
Pixel Over UV-LED Mode: UAP+Adjacent_LED : 4
Pixel Over UV-LED Power: (Default)
Foundation Layer Count: 10
Foundation Layer Type: Model Footprint
Foundation UV-LED Current : 8
Foundation Exposure Time: 30

These are mine
Layer Thickness 24
All Layers exposure time: 25
First Layers: Over-Exposure Time: 35
First Layers layer count: 3
UV-LED Drive current: 8
Pixel Over UV-LED Mode: UAP+Adjacent_LED : 4
Pixel Over UV-LED Power: (Default)
Foundation Layer Count: 0
Foundation Layer Type: Model Footprint
Foundation UV-LED Current : 8
Foundation Exposure Time: 35

So my exposure time is actually lower than yours, except at the foundation mine is 5 seconds more. So I'm going to try to lower the "All Layers" to 20, "First Layers" to 30, and "Foundation Ex Time" to 30, and see if that helps.
Vortious

Postby ron.kundla » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Vortious, you have foundation layer count set to 0, so those times are a non-issue since you aren't printing any foundation layers.

Is your layer thickness really 24 micron? If so, your exposure times are all way over the top for those thin slices!

My recommendation is to use one of the built-in prints at 100 micron with those timings and verify everything is okay. If you really want to do 24 micron, create a new configuration from that one and start with dividing your exposure times either in half or by 3.
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Vortious » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Yeah I've been doing the prints at thin layers like that since early on, and just recently started having these issues.The print I'm running right now is looking much better from what I can see so far, but I'll try an even shorter exposure time next print. It's been a ROYAL PAIN waiting half to nearly a day for prints to finish up. So hopefully running the shorter exposures will allow for them to turn out better, and take less time as well.
Vortious

Next

Return to Issues