Self destruct of build platform.

All problems and issues that occur

Re: Self destruct of build platform.

Postby ron.kundla » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:58 pm

The Draken can do some good detail. I am still fine tuning my settings for use with the B9 1:1 cherry/red resin mix, but here is a picture of a crest I did at approximately 41 microns XY at 50 microns Z:

(pardon the dust and hair! - I'll need to clean that before I attempt to cast it)

I need to tweak my exposure times a little more, but I am happy with this. The outer wall is ~1 mm thick. The long dimension is 20mm

There is a problem with my Draken's Z-axis (see the Z-axis offset in the print above) and they are making modifications to later units, so I will get a retrofit at some point in time and then I will be able to rock and roll with the printer.

Back to the Nano, I am concerned about Z-axis positioning, consistency and accuracy. It is a threaded screw and a nut. No backlash, nothing. Mechanically it does the job, but positional accuracy is a complete unknown. I guess if I had a dial indicator, I could go up 500 um and go down 400 um and see if my ending position was 100 um less than the starting position. iBox has not reported these values and I don't know if they have measurements.

If you want to do jewelry with the Nano, it won't work in the traditional sense. You can utilize the Nano's behavior to create a custom look jewelry that revolves around the Nano's peculiarities, but that won't interest most people. I've given up on trying to print any fine (<1.0 mm) detail with the Nano. I'll use it for other things and my Draken for jewelry. If someone can figure out how to use it however, that would be great. :-)
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby ron.kundla » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 pm

gary2169 wrote:It's inconvenient to upload photos to this forum due to the size limits, but I will do so tomorrow.
Your results are consistent with what I'm seeing. The bezel width is .8mm or 20ga wire size, which I thought would be within the tolerance at more than 2x the pixel size.
The base is 1mm, which certainly should be within reach of a machine with .05 mm z accuracy. The other features - hexagonal settings with 2mm holes generally print correctly except for the Z which is consistently too short.

Based upon your experience, will this type of design be printable on the draken? if not, I'm cancelling my order.

Your photo also points to short Z rendering as you are printing a 1mm base underneath a 1mm model base plate.

Any thoughts? I can adjust designs to xy resolution limitations, but if the z is off this is a non starter.

Gary

Here is another print I did upping my exposure a few more seconds. More items resolved, but too much diffraction curing of the resin crushing detail:

Apparently my print plate is down too far. Like you said, there should be a 1mm thick layer of resin before the bezels. Hopefully Hashra can educate us on how far the plate moves with each press of the "up" button.
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby gary2169 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:54 am

At your suggestion, I modified the design making the bezel thickness .8mm which is it's largest practical thickness after casting. Any wider would be too difficult to burnish over the opal. Even @.8 it will require hammer setting, which will be dangerous to the stone. .4 to .5 would be much safer.

Here are the last two day's trials:

20150810_071926-sm.jpg
20150810_071926-sm.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

I have switched to vorex resin, which gives similar results to the ibex resins, except that the exposures are much longer or intense.
The two ibex resins wither did not stick to the build plate at all (clear) or stick so well (blue) that I can't get the print off the plate without breaking it.
The dimensional issues and detail issues are consistent with all three resins. Ultimately I want to be using castsolid resin, but it is far too expensive to be testing with until I am satisfied that the printer is working as it should. I'm not at this stage.

The most recent two (bottom right) at 19ma - the final one has 1st 10 layers @45secs remaining @15 secs.
The overall thickness is still way too small, varying from .18mm bottom left edge to almost full thickness @.9mm (should be 1.0mm) at the top just left of center.
last3.jpg
last3.jpg (210.24 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

I will try one final test re-orienting the image so that its 180 from current on the build area, to see if the thinness follows the design or the build layout.

A 100um FDM print of the same design:

fdm.jpg
fdm.jpg (82.19 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

I'm pretty much finished playing with his unless the company chimes in with explanations or solutions to the thin prints and dimensional problems. The x and y dimensions are also off, being larger than the drawing.

I will be demoing the printer tonight to the local maker's group, and writing a review in the coming week.
gary2169

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:30 am

Well, if I had a thick bezel, I'd take a file to it to thin out the top to help fold it over easier, but that is just my preference. ;-)

You certainly got a lot of testing in. Glad you tried Vortex. I did test with full strength MakerJuice G+ (pre-June 2015 reformulation) and had better success versus the Nano resin. I do wonder how much of an affect the amount of pigment has to do with the curing and object size. I tried to print a 10mm calibration cube and found it close, but not 100% accurate. There will be some slop with the 0.3 mm pixel size.

I also tested a sample of CastSolid resin I was gifted by Steve Hall and with my default settings it printed my mini owl print fine (see the Google+ iBox Nano community page for more details).

What FDM printer did you use to print your model? Did you use PLA or ABS (looks like PLA to me). Have you tried to cast PLA yet? I've made a rectangular cushion bezel for a ring I put together and cast it in sterling silver. Worked out surprisingly well using the Kerr Satincast burnout schedule.
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby gary2169 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Printed on a Robo3d R1, which I've been very happy with. Yes it's pla, and no I haven't tried casting it. I don't currently have a kiln or centrifugal caster.
I'm waiting to make those purchases when I have a reliable way of producing castable models. I suck at wax work.

The robo is a workhorse - printed all my ibox replacement parts with it. WIthout it the nano would still be a lump on my table unused after the 1st day.
gary2169

Postby iceBox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Xios1306 wrote:We're used to clean our acrylic with IPA after being cut with the lasers. but we stopped doing that.

Sort of makes one wonder what happened to ^^^those^^^ particular acrylic sheets... Did they make it into Nanos that were boxed up and shipped to backers?
iceBox

Postby Xios1306 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:15 pm

We keep that acrylic in a pile in our warehouse. We occasionally cut out small pieces of it as bases for our good prints. The resin also acts as a solvent for acrylic so models can be easily bound to the acrylic.
Harsha B C
Intern - Computer Engineer
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀ │
│   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄ │
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Re: Self destruct of build platform.https://goo.gl/photos/3H

Postby Oxnyx » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:21 am

I am seeing the same issue with the build platform and printer head. I have to admit I have the try of self control that means I leave my printer running over night in a room by it's self so I can't comment on having hear anything. I have posted some pictures. You can see that the head platform has a huge crack and the is starting to crazy but it's only the head. I don't actually own another 3D printer but I might be able to do something with a table saw.... :(
https://goo.gl/photos/3HwmipCvm86CvLaX9
Oxnyx

Postby gary2169 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:12 am

That is pretty much the same sequence I experienced. First the top, then the bottom of the build plate holder,
then the VAT collar, then the VAT clips.

If you haven't already contacted support@iboxprinters.com you should do so immediately. Posting an issue here is not sufficient to have it addressed by the company.
gary2169

Postby the_g » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:20 am

My vat clips and then the acrylic around the vat broke yesterday, as it happens, and I have the same stress fractures on the Z trolley, I just posted a thread about it earlier... Did you ever get any resolution from the company, Gary? Or did you just model and print replacement prints for yourself?
the_g

PreviousNext

Return to Issues