Support Material

Support Material

Postby steeph » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:59 am

Hi!

I am trying to create a model with support material. I have an STL file without support material. Slic3r doesn't seem to be able to create SVGs with support material. I get a bunch of error message when I try to slice to SVG with "Generate support material" turned on.

Is there some software that can create such an SVG? Preferably for Linux, but I'd also use a Windows tool.
steeph

Re: Support Material

Postby ron.kundla » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:34 pm

You need to save the new STL file with the supports added. Then take that new STL file and convert it to an SVG.

I used Slic3r to do that (under Windows) and it worked fine. The supports didn't work out very well when I attempted a print, but the file generated correctly.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby steeph » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:02 pm

Thank you for your answer! Sorry for my late reply. I didn't receive the notification e-mail.

This sounds promising enough. But how do I save the STL with supports? When I export an STL in Slic3er, it just saves what I already see on the plate. Or do you mean I have to add support manually?
steeph

Postby steeph » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:06 am

Hmm, where did my reply go?

Thanks for the answer, ron.kundla!

But how do I save the STL with supports added? When I export an STL in Slic3r, it's just what I already saw in the plate. Or do you mean I have to add support manually?
steeph

Postby ron.kundla » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 am

Ah, I think I skipped a step...

You can use the MeshMixer program to add supports to your STL file, then import it to Slic3r for SVG conversion. MeshMixer is free and there are tutorials out there so that should help you make your supports.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Return to Slic3r