Resin pigment percentages

General questions about the printer and printer software.

Resin pigment percentages

Postby ron.kundla » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 pm

I've been curious as I use my iBox Nano, all of these resins (Red, Green and Blue) are all custom mixed by iBox to dilute the percentage of pigment solids to a more acceptable level to the printer.

Would you be able to expound on why you needed to do that? Is it a matter that the greater the pigment concentration, the more light energy or exposure time required to cure the resin?

I think translucent resins are interesting (same with PLA filament), but I'd like to be able to use more opaque resins to better see detail. The translucent color hides alot of the detail in the model.

Thanks!
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Re: Resin pigment percentages

Postby iboxsupport » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:44 am

We buy clear and add pigment at a ratio of 0.05% by weight.

We do this because the default Makerjuice resin has too much pigment for optimal printing.

By optimal we mean;
1. The pigment blocks UV light, just like a snowstorm blackout. So less pigment means less power to cure and also deeper cure.
2. We also personally prefer translucent prints. We think it is ascetically pleasing.

The OEM Makerjuice resin does print on the Nano, just not as well as our custom mix. We would not take the time to custom mix every liter if we could just use the colored resin as-is. It would save us two employees to straight resell.
iboxsupport
Site Admin

Postby ron.kundla » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:02 pm

If we switch to a thinner layer height, say 10 microns versus 100 microns with the same amount of exposure time, would the OEM resin have a better chance of being usable?
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby iboxsupport » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:19 pm

ron.kundla wrote:If we switch to a thinner layer height, say 10 microns versus 100 microns with the same amount of exposure time, would the OEM resin have a better chance of being usable?

Maybe; but it is a better idea just to reduce the exposure time. Just remember that 10 microns is 1/10th the thickness of he default 100microns, so reduce the exposure time quite a bit from the default. Test print something thin to reduce the time to find the best settings, then go for a full print.

Please share your settings that you find work!
iboxsupport
Site Admin

Postby ron.kundla » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:11 am

I found that I could use straight pre-June 2015 MakerJuice G+ red resin with no modification to my printer settings. I have not tried the new MakerJuice G+ that is supposed to hold pigment in suspension longer (post June 2015).

I've posted photos on the Google+ iBox Nano community page for those that are interested in checking it out.
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Return to General