Grayscales

General questions about the printer and printer software.

Grayscales

Postby Roland Koch » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:24 am

Does the software (and hardware: display) support grayscales?
The model which came with my Nano (_chichen_itza10mm) has images with varios grades of gray and I just wondered whether that would have an influence on the print shape or the print quality?

Thanks

Roland
Roland Koch

Re: Grayscales

Postby ron.kundla » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:06 am

I am not sure if the LCD can support greyscale (doubt it actually at this resolution).

The software that converts the SVG to PNG slices has what appears to be a fixed threshold for converting the intensity of a pixel to a '0' or a '1', and I think that is set at 50%.

If you are looking at the preview of the pyramid, that grey scale is an artifact of the preview conversion process that shows relative density of the model as the slices are combined into a top and front view.

If it could support greyscale, it might allow for softer edges, but since the duration of the exposure is a constant, if you didn't have enough exposure at a particular greyscale level, the detail wouldn't resolve or would just be a blobby mess. Hard edges between full on and full off pixels are what makes the printing really possible. I would argue on a DLP printer that can do greyscale it wouldn't buy you much considering the same issues I listed above.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Roland Koch » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:10 am

I'll be interested to get a response from IBox.
Here a picture of what I'd like to get an answer to:

one of the layers of the top of the pyramid

If gray scale is not supported by the printer, it obviously could make it tricky to set up the printer with this set of images :-). Unfortunately I still didn't get any indication why my Nano won't load the models from the cloud. So I work with my own models which I edit manually after conversion by the Nano. With the support of gray scale there would be additional intersting possibilities especially on round objects.
Roland Koch

Postby ron.kundla » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:41 pm

Is that from the PNG pack on the printer itself? That doesn't even look like a pyramid, unless that is supposed to be the interior? :-P I will have to look at those images myself. I would believe that they were converted differently than they are converted today.

Have you tried looking at the top of LCD of the printer while it is running to see if it displays greyscale? A monochrome LCD should only have two color states, because it cannot control the single pixel element other than on-off. A 3LCD panel can create pseudo-greyscale because it can alter the percentages of red/blue/green to get various shades of grey. A true greyscale LCD panel is very expensive and is used in the medical imaging field.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Return to General