Castable Resin

General questions about the printer and printer software.

Castable Resin

Postby TieBox » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Dean said
"I am a jeweler and I have bought your ibox nano printer an was
interested in if other resins could be used as their are castable resins
in the jewelry trade..."
Troy
Chemical Test Engineer at iBox Printers
Youtube Tutorial Guy- Please make suggestions for new tutorials, or ways to improve old ones
TieBox
Chief Of Resin

Re: Castable Resin

Postby TieBox » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:39 pm

You can use any UV curable resin on the iBox nano. You will just have to mess around with the setting to get the specific resin to your on your nano. There are castable resins available but we have not run any tests on them yet.
Castable resins have been discussed on a thread previously here.

MadeSolid offers a castable uv curable on their website. There is no reason why this resin should not work on the nano. However, we have not tested it yet, so we do not guarantee that it will work. I will look into getting my hands on some so I can find out for sure.
Troy
Chemical Test Engineer at iBox Printers
Youtube Tutorial Guy- Please make suggestions for new tutorials, or ways to improve old ones
TieBox
Chief Of Resin

Postby Xios1306 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:45 pm

User Ron Kundla has had some success with cast solid resin on the nano. However the low resolution of our printer won't be good enough for jewelry. Also your designs might now peel correctly. And supports for your model is also a challenge.
Harsha B C
Intern - Computer Engineer
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀ │
│   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄ │
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:37 pm

As Harsha said, I was able to print a 21mm owl model using the CastSolid resin. However, it didn't last very long until it started to crack. I haven't tried using B9 resin because even with my DLP printer, it takes 20+ seconds to cure a layer. That is like a full 60 seconds on the Nano, if it even can cure it.

I've had mediocre success with a ring using full strength MakerJuice G+ Red resin, but fine features will be very difficult to achieve because of the larger pixel size on the Nano. I think the Nano could be used for the equivalent items that you can do with Delft Clay - solid pieces or back-hollowed pieces, but again, no smooth curved surfaces without a lot of post-processing and no fine details below in my testing 1.0mm. Round prongs? Not gonna happen unless they are huge diameter.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Return to General