Pixel Over UV-LED Mode

General questions about the printer and printer software.

Pixel Over UV-LED Mode

Postby gary2169 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:49 am

Can someone please explain the many choices under this section of Advanced Config?
gary2169

Re: Pixel Over UV-LED Mode

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:15 am

I am sure Harsha can provide more details, but they seem to be algorithms they created to handle the different methods of selecting which LEDs to utilize based on the mask shape. Turning on additional LEDs or turning off some LEDs will have an impact on the way light strikes the vat due to diffraction of the light via the LCD film. But since this is not a 'hard' edge, diffraction wouldn't behave quite the same way as it does with a slit or grating.

Doing an experiment on the shape of the object between modes 2 and 4 would be interesting. Probably notice some difference with the edges of the objects where mode 2 might be too soft on the edges versus mode 4.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby gary2169 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:00 pm

I kinda assumed that much. What I'm looking for is a clear definition of what each means - particularly "future 1" and "future 5",
what they do, and under what circumstances they would be the best choice.

I'm really not much interested in continuing to experiment to understand what the printer does, or should do. It's way to costly in time and materials.

I watched your video about peeling, and it was totally new conceptually to what I expected. I have made a point of ensuring that the vat is immobile prior to starting a print. Having adjusted to allow some "slop" i don't notice any difference in the peel, but I do notice defects due to rotation of the vat as it drops.
I'm back to tightening just enough to prevent lift or rotation.

Peel now is more of an issue with the top of the model, rather than the base.

I would also like to see a procedure for re-calibrating the pwm values for the 40 leds, and I am very clearly experiencing either: misalignment of the plate and vat, or improper calibration of the led stage. I have thinning from right to left across the build area, and have confirmed by rotating the model 180.

I'm also still mystified by the thin base layers, regardless of "over exposure" settings.
gary2169

Postby ron.kundla » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:19 pm

gary2169 wrote: I watched your video about peeling, and it was totally new conceptually to what I expected. I have made a point of ensuring that the vat is immobile prior to starting a print. Having adjusted to allow some "slop" i don't notice any difference in the peel, but I do notice defects due to rotation of the vat as it drops.
I'm back to tightening just enough to prevent lift or rotation.

During the early days I noticed the rotation of the vat during the peel. With the rectangular tape, if I was printing something wide, it didn't take much rotation for things to not print right. That is when I moved to the circular piece of FEP film - orientation of the vat was no longer a problem.

I also did some experiments with shoving a piece of rolled up paper under one of the clamps to help constrain the position of the vat, while still allowing it to be pulled up for peeling. It was like locking in one side and leaving the other to float. I still ran into problems on occasion and having to manipulate that little piece of rolled up paper was too much of a hassle.

I moved to the Qsil after that and I haven't looked back since. Maybe there is a market to offer Qsil vats to folks who have bought Nanos? I've seen 12 packs of Corning 55mm cover glass online and I think one kit of Qsil would take care of all 12 of those covers.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Xios1306 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:50 pm

I'm actually still working on the post. It's quite big and will explain every option in the advanced settings page. Expect another update soon in which most of the arcane names will be replaced with something more user friendly. There might even be hotlinks to the post directly on the settings page.
Harsha B C
Intern - Computer Engineer
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀ │
│   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄ │
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
└───────────────────┘