Print keeps sticking to FEP tape

General questions about the printer and printer software.

Print keeps sticking to FEP tape

Postby printEd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:03 am

Trying to print with the red resin, not had any luck with the Nano at all.

After having to do research on the forum to learn the correct setup procedure - inc roughing up the build surface, it's starting to get very frustrating. Each failed print just leaves some cured resin stuck to the FEP tape, and a little to the build surface. One side of the VAT lip is lower as suggested by Ron so that it's supposed to peel away from the tape when separating - but still nothing. It's like the resin just cures to both surfaces (randomly, see below) but won't adhere to itself in the middle. Also tried starting the print all the way from the bottom of the Z axis, and 1 click up - still nothing.

For some reason (just trying to print the original test piece pyramid) the areas where the resin sets is like a long, wide section - wider than the pyramid should be.

So disappointed with this printer, hardly any support/apologies from iBox and only one spare for the FEP tape? Not sure what else to try at this stage, all suggestions appreciated.
printEd

Re: Print keeps sticking to FEP tape

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:00 am

Does your print look like this?

https://plus.google.com/103551614381764 ... d42isCTjZE

I think the problem was overexposure. Needed to dial back the exposure time to get it to settle. Easier to fix one variable and alter the other (exposure time versus LED drive current).

The Google+ community that Chris Means created was the place to go for us Super Early Beta Adopters to experiment and post our findings. If you skim through that page, you might find some useful information.

It seems that it does take a little bit of trial and error to dial in the right settings based on the model. I know I spent a bunch of time getting it dialed in, but with patience and persistence, you will eventually find a single setting that works decently for most prints.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby printEd » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks for your response Ron - but still no success.

I've spent a full day on this today, and managed to get the blob sticking to the build plate on some prints, but not all. Regardless of first few layers exposure time or LED current, still just getting blobs.

Doesn't seem to be any progress with any of this, also tried changing the print from the pyramid to just the simple iBox logo - still nothing.

Regardless of what I do, what exposure settings I try, how many times I replace the FEP tape, scratch and clean the build plate there's virtually no change (apart from smaller blobs when exposure settings are reduced, larger blobs when increased. All other settings the same as default and LCD seems to be working OK.

I really don't understand how this would work for anyone? iBox support non existent as usual.
printEd

Postby printEd » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Although the LCD was working in earlier tests, I've just come to realize its now not. Nothing on the LCD displayed on boot, or during prints - just goes through the rest of the motions.

Is it worth going through all the hassle to fix/replace the LCD just to start again on this?
printEd

Postby ron.kundla » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:52 am

Well, that would explain the blobs.

While your question is one of those deeply philisophical ones that only you yourself can answer, I would get the LCD replaced (not too difficult to do it you are a DIY kind of person) and if you are no longer interested in it, put it up for sale. I may donate mine to my kids school so they can experience at least how resin printing works and do a comparison against other technologies available. I can't use it with the low resolution (320 microns versus my Draken DLP which can go down to 40 microns) and I don't have the time to try to fine tune the printer to get it towards a nearly acceptable configuration. But for a printer in the $200 price range, it is interesting.

If iBox can get the LCD resolution to the 100 micron level, then they may be able to really sell it.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby TieBox » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Sorry for the inconvenience printEd. If your LCD is broken we can send you a replacement if you would prefer repairing it yourself. You can also send it in for repair and we'll do it for you, it's up to you. Please email support@iboxprinters.com to arrange either option.
Troy
Chemical Test Engineer at iBox Printers
Youtube Tutorial Guy- Please make suggestions for new tutorials, or ways to improve old ones
TieBox
Chief Of Resin

Return to General