clearance and time in between printing layers

General questions about the printer and printer software.

clearance and time in between printing layers

Postby Roland Koch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:53 am

What are the best settings (and where would I adjust then) for lifting the model between printing layers?

- Should the build plate lift the model out of the resin
- If yes: how long should the newly printed layer rest in the air? Obviously this is depending on the filling level of the vat?
- If no: how much time should be allowed between printing layers (and why) ?
Roland Koch

Re: clearance and time in between printing layers

Postby Xios1306 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:52 am

These settings can be adjusted through the peel settings in the settings advanced menu. You should have defaults of 2300 and 500 in the peel stage 1 and 2 respectively

What this means is the following
During the first attempt it takes to peel the printer moves the build platform 2300 layers.
The second stage peel is a another additional attempt at a peel as the stepper motor has the most torture when starting from a rest. This second stage peel only peels for 500 layers.

So to put that in length the first peel stage moves the build platform to a height of 2.3 mm and the second stage moves it to a height of 0.5mm if your layer height is set to 100 microns

And there's no use in making the model come out of the resin. You can actually increase print times significantly if you reduce the peel heights, but there's a risk of the model not peeling.
Harsha B C
Intern - Computer Engineer
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀ │
│   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄ │
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:04 am

If you notice your vat not peeling, which I saw in the past with some really tenacious prints, I upped my second stage peel to be another 1+ mm (or +1000 to the original value).

I think the only reason to have it hanging out for longer than normal might be to allow drips to fall off the model, plus the extra movement out of the resin helps churn it up a little. This is at the expense of longer print times however.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby Roland Koch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:26 pm

I now have reversed the steps of the stage peels. Short first stage, long second stage.
- This works well with my setup of the vat. I tighten the vat to the base (carefully over the corners so that all 4 screws are just tight - and at this point I recommend that you replace the screwdriver supplied with a PH1 driver as you will have much better control over the tightening and your heads won't get ruined). Then I loosen the front screws by half a turn. Now when the build platform moves up, the print will slightly lift the front of the vat and eventually peel off. The first stage is set so that it will stop shortly after the peel (plopp). This way the second stage, same as in the standard setup, will peel the model only if it sticks too well to the base.
The setup makes sure, that the vat can't change height and I feel that I get more consistent layering (I work with 50 micron layers)
- I still clear the resin as I think that the oxygen improves the curing. This may not be the case - works fine for me thou :-) .

Now on to the next setup. The calibration of the LED's. In the prints of the GearBoth40 model (already on my Nano when it arrived) I get the marked fault on the image.

Does anyone get the same fault in the print, which would indicate that the walls in those areas are too thin, or do I not get enough UV light in that area to cure the resin?
If the later is the case I would look forward to a test model for calibrating the LED's and a short tutorial ( or a link to the relevant documentation if already available).

(could be treated in a new topic)

Thanks

Roland
Roland Koch

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Glad to hear you found a way to get the printer to do what you wanted.

Looking at your photo for the most part, it looks like everything is forming correctly. How does the foundation look? Any issues in those same spots where the gear split?

What are your exposure settings? I would probably say bump it up an extra second or two and see what changes. It will more than likely make those walls thicker due to the extra exposure time.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Return to General