proper lowering of build plate to vat

General questions about the printer and printer software.

proper lowering of build plate to vat

Postby kencfii » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:39 am

Hello,
I know this has been discussed before but I would just like to clarify in one spot please.

The build plate needs to be lowered all the way down so that it is touching the bottom of the vat before starting a print.

No problem.

What is the best way to do this? It appears that the printer behaves a bit different than the documentation states and there have been conflicting answers - i think...

This is what I do - is it correct?

I fill the vat just a bit with resin - not near half full.

I lower the build plate by pressing and holding the "down arrow" button on the printer itself for a couple of seconds.

The printer slowly lowers the build plate down - it keeps driving it down until it hits the bottom of the vat - then seems to keep driving it down but can not anymore because it is all the way down.
I then hit the "Up arrow" button quickly - just a tap.

The printer then stops moving the plate and the build plate is all the way against the vat.

I then make sure the vat is almost half full of resin and add more if needed.

I then print

Is it OK to let the printer drive the plate all the way down like that?

If not, how do we be sure the build plate is all the way down?

Thanks
kencfii

Re: proper lowering of build plate to vat

Postby TieBox » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Yes you are doing it perfectly! Driving the build plate into the vat will not damage the motor or the vat so feel free to do it every time you print if you'd like.

Once you hit print from that position the build plate will return to that position every time you print if the Auto Zero Z option is on. The saved print position is lost when the nano is powered down. If the auto zero z option is turned on when you boot up again, the build plate will lower 40mm or until it is stopped by contact with the vat and save that position.
Troy
Chemical Test Engineer at iBox Printers
Youtube Tutorial Guy- Please make suggestions for new tutorials, or ways to improve old ones
TieBox
Chief Of Resin

Return to General