An example of a Nano peel

General questions about the printer and printer software.

An example of a Nano peel

Postby ron.kundla » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:25 pm

For all of you who wonder if their Nano is actually leaving something on the plate, this video gives you an idea of what to look for while printing. The video is hosted on tinypic.

Nano Peel Example
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Re: An example of a Nano peel

Postby ron.kundla » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:49 pm

What you want is a gentle peel, not much noise and an actual 'tilt' to the vat as it falls back to the top of the printer.

If your peel is making snapping, popping or other strange noises, eventually your print will not be able to stay stuck to the plate as the forces applied are too much for the print to handle. This is especially true if during a print you observe that the vat is being yanked off the plate like you were grabbing it with both hands and pulling with all your might.

Some tips:

- If your FEP is chewed up, replace it. Any scar, cut, gouge, etc. to the FEP gives the resin a place to latch onto and make it harder to remove.
- Try spinning the vat 180° around and see if that makes a difference during the peel. Not all of the vats have the same wall height all round the perimeter and that might make the peel work better.

Advanced tips:

- If you have metal files, use them to cut lines into your aluminum build platform. They provide better grip than just sandpaper. Cut lines across the narrow part of the plate, then cut 45° across that to make a diamond shape.
- For ultimate vat flexibility, buy some 12x12" adhesive FEP film and cut out circle pieces that would fit inside the vat. That way you are no longer bound to orient the vat in the shape of the rectangular tape.
- Replace the FEP with a thin layer of PDMS. I used Qsil 216, bought it from eBay and it works fine. Makes peels easier since PDMS can flex, allowing for easier peels. Need to do your homework before attempting this!
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Return to General