Slicing program alternative

General questions about the printer and printer software.

Slicing program alternative

Postby Vortious » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:28 am

I know that you guys recommend Slic3r, however I was watching the video for the much larger 3D printer that is on Kickstarter right now, and they mentioned Creation Station, so I looked it up, and I think it is a much better program than slicer. Mainly because it has one thing that slicer definitely doesn't have, and that is the ability to add supports. If you have a 3D design, and hadn't already put supports into it this program will generate them for you. I haven't had a chance to really play around with it a whole lot, but it is definitely something to look into.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ccffqz4Jjg
Vortious

Re: Slicing program alternative

Postby ron.kundla » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:00 pm

I use Creation Workshop with my Draken printer.

It does have the capability to generate SVG files, but there was talk that there is no standard on how these SVG files are created. The Nano is designed to interpret SVG files from Slic3r only right now. Creation Workshop also talks to devices that use gcode interfaces via serial port. Since the Nano is self-contained control code (not an Arduino-type board interface) and more than likely does not use gcode, this won't work.

If you wish to add supports, you can use Autodesk MeshMixer, which has some support capability and re-export the STL file to slice in Slic3r. Harsha talked about it on the Google+ community. I've tried to print objects with supports from MeshMixer and found that the very thin supports do not print right because of the LCD resolution constraints. The larger supports I did create sometimes had problems with attachment to the object, so you have to make the tips thick, which causes you to have to do a lot of work fixing up the surface that was damaged by the supports.

Maybe someone else will be able to figure out how to make it work better than I did. To those who do, I salute you!
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby gary2169 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:26 pm

How did you get your hands on a draken? Mine has been on order since April and I can't get a response from the company regarding an expected delivery date.
gary2169

Postby ron.kundla » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:45 pm

I paid top dollar for mine as an ultimate backer. If you are on the 3DFacture forums, you will see my posts over there on my experiences with the printer.
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Return to General