Nano unsliced model files please?

General questions about the printer and printer software.

Nano unsliced model files please?

Postby whizzard » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:57 pm

I was wondering if anybody at iBox can get the .STL or .OBJ files from the prints that come with the nano can release the original files.

The reason I ask is because I would like to see the scale and methods that they used to create the models, because they print so nicely compared to the ones that I have created for the nano.

The only files that I have access to are the ones in the filesystem, and they are already converted. I could learn a lot by looking at the Rook or Gears or any model that came with it before it was sliced.

Thanks!
whizzard

Re: Nano unsliced model files please?

Postby Xios1306 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:18 pm

I have some of the stl files of the models i uploaded to the cloud. I'll share those with you. But we haven't done anything special to them they were sliced just as I mentioned in the slicer tutorial.

I only have one file with me at the moment i'll upload more tomorrow from my work computer.
Attachments
scaled_ds2_marker.stl
(140.32 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
scaled_ds2_marker.svg
(455.16 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Harsha B C
Intern - Computer Engineer
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀ │
│   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄ │
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Postby ron.kundla » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42 pm

The biggest thing is that when taking a much larger STL model and scaling it down to fit onto the Nano, you are going to lose a lot of fine detail that the large pixel size on the LCD screen cannot resolve. When using Slic3r, if the model is like 2-3x larger than the build plate, you are going to lose too much detail.

The best models are those with more blocky designs (the rook, the skull, the gear, the owl, etc.). The Effiel Tower is a horrible print because all of the detail is blended together. Yeah, it looks like the Effiel Tower from a ways away, but it isn't all that impressive up close.

What are you trying to print?
Super Early Beta Adopter
"I don't work for iBox, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" ;)
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby whizzard » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:14 am

I was trying to print a pretty basic model of a space helmet. I used maya for the basic model, but then added detail and triangulated with zbrush. I did not know that the level of detail effected the final print... I tried reducing the number of polygons by decimating / remeshing as much as I could, and am trying another test print now. If this does not work correctly I will try just printing the helmet without the extra detail, as that is very basic. I have a lot of experience with 3D modeling but barely any with converting / printing a mesh and the quirks that come with it.

When you say blocky I assume you mean larger, straighter polygons. I have read that tris are better than quads for models that are being 3d printed.

The mesh should be triangulated right?
Any more tips and pitfalls people that just start out modeling for printing?

Thank you so much for posting those files and your help.
whizzard

Postby Xios1306 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:13 am

The slicer svg viewer I have linked in the tutorial is also an invaluable tool. Granted it doesn't show the model at the resolution the printer will print but you can easily find out if your model will peel fail or has some overhangs you missed out on.

And like Ron said blocky designs are always easiest to print. Fine detail is really hard to achieve on the xy plane in this printer. Maybe you can pull off some fine detail long the z with smaller layer heights but it's still going to look blocky.

Also if you're printing at different layer height I'd recommend having a small model first as a test print. Something large that covers the screen area like the gears on the cloud. Test printing that should help you nail the larger model with our wasting too much resin.
Harsha B C
Intern - Computer Engineer
harsha@iBoxPrinters.com
            iBox Printers
┌───────────────────┐
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  \
│   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀ │
│   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄   ▄▄ │
│  ██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
│██   ██   ██   ██   ██   ██  /
└───────────────────┘
             you make it
Xios1306
iBox Pro User

Postby ron.kundla » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:50 pm

If you figure that the pixel resolution gives the smallest possible feature at 0.3mm, take into consideration diffraction of the light around that pixel (those experiments from high school physics come in handy) and you maybe are 2-3x or close to a 1mm minimum feature size. I've tried to print some fine feature test models and depending on many factors including resin, exposure times, etc., you will get various levels of quality. I couldn't get fine detail to resolve any less than 1.2-1.0mm based on my setup.

If you designed your model in Maya to fit from the get-go within the 40x20mm maximum build envelope of the Nano, I think you can expect to resolve differences of approximately 1mm under magnification. If you design larger and scale down smaller elements, you will lose those smaller elements as too small to print within the 0.3mm minimum pixel size.

For the science end of our discussion, this paper has some interesting comments about diffraction of light through LCD pixels of different shape. http://investigacion.izt.uam.mx/mfg/pub ... ptik05.pdf We can use this to predict the kind of possible overexposure behavior we can get from the square pixels used in the LCD mask.
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby whizzard » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Thank you to everyone who helped me in this thread.

After a bit of trial an error with different mesh properties and 3D design tools, as well as the settings of the nano, I have gotten amazingly great and detailed 25 micron 3D prints. The space helmet I designed has an amazing level of detail and almost perfect roundness for what you would expect from any much more expensive 3d printer. Once I get the model finalized if requested I will upload the files used as well as the settings and pictures of the result. If you have patience this little inexpensive machine can do some pretty amazing things.

Tools used Maya, Zbrush, 3D Builder, Meshmixer, and Slic3r.
whizzard

Postby ron.kundla » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:13 pm

@whizzard

As they say "pictures speak a thousand words" ;-)

Please post whatever you have printed because all of us would like to see a design that ends up shining on the Nano!
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Postby gary2169 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Can you please share your setting screens, and the resin you are using? I am getting completely different results with the nano blue than I did with the clear.
Whereas the clear wouldn't stick at all, I have to chisel the blue off.
gary2169

Postby ron.kundla » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:49 pm

What values are you using with the blue? On my Nano, I was able to get all three colors (green, red and blue) to work with values in the 20-23 second range for standard exposure. Oh, don't forget current - my drive current is 10 mA.

I know that they calibrate the LEDs to try to keep the overall luminosity even, but maybe their calibration point has changed since my unit was made?
Super Early Beta Adopter
ron.kundla
iBox Pro User

Return to General